top of page

What You Need to Know for New Residents and Out-of-State vehicle Transfer in CA

If you have recently moved to California or bought a car from out of state, it is important to know that you have to register your vehicle within 20 days of moving to avoid paying a penalty. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires new residents to register their vehicles in California to ensure compliance with state laws and regulations.

To register your vehicle in California, you will need several documents, including the vehicle's out-of-state title and/or registration card if the vehicle is still financed. Additionally, you will need to complete an Application for Title (REG 343) and provide a valid smog certificate. A VIN verification may also be required.

It is important to note that California has some of the strictest emissions standards in the country, and all vehicles are required to pass a smog check before they can be registered. If your vehicle is less than six years old, it may be exempt from the smog check requirement, but older vehicles will need to pass the test.

BUT DO NOT WORRY SB Auto Registration can help you with all these forms and Vin Verification and you can typically expect to receive your registration card, stickers, and plates on the same day.

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page